Industry News

Fire and asbestos

House Fire?

… Know The FACTS When It Comes To Asbestos Removal

When FIRE barges in… into your home, and into your life, it’s no fun for anyone.

But we can get through this, and restore your home to safety and comfort.  Just give us a call, and help will be on the way!

When a fire breaks out in your home, even a relatively small one, it causes a significant asbestos contamination, and that’s a deadly threat to you and your family.

So if you’re recovering from a house fire, don’t delay!  Call us right away.

Here’s The Ugly Truth

Many people assume asbestos, which has been shown to cause mesothelioma lung cancer, is illegal in the United States.

While it’s illegal in our country to produce asbestos, or to make products which contain it, it is still legal to import the ugly stuff.  As a result, tons of asbestos products are brought into the U.S. every year.

There’s probably asbestos in your home, and here’s where you’d find it:

  • Drywall (wall boards)
  • Ceiling tiles
  • “Popcorn” ceiling texture
  • Plumbing (pipe) insulation
  • Attic/wall insulation
  • Older homes:
    • Plaster walls
    • Built-in cabinets
  • Even household goods!
    • Makeup
    • Baby powder
    • Some jewelry!

Left undisturbed, most asbestos products are not harmful.

But your recent fire almost certainly released microscopic (and deadly) asbestos particles into the air throughout your home.

And your HVAC system will have distributed these life-threatening microscopic particles everywhere.

You can’t see or smell the asbestos in your air… but that just makes it all the more dangerous.  Inhale enough of these tiny shards, and you’re at real risk for developing mesothelioma lung cancer… which is a deadly disease for which there’s no cure.

The only way to be sure of the safety of your home is to have it professionally tested, and to have the asbestos abated from the entirety of your house.

That’s just the simple, ugly truth about house fires and the asbestos contamination they cause.

It’s An Unfortunately Intrusive Process

In order to ensure your home’s 100% asbestos free, we have to go through everything in your house.  Even your underwear drawer.

That’s because asbestos particles “hook” into the soft goods throughout your home, rendering everything that isn’t a hard surface impossible to rid of cancer-causing particles.

Pillows… sheets… curtains… even clothing will likely have to be removed and destroyed.

Hard surfaces are super-easy for us to clean… but the soft goods are impossible.

Heirloom soft goods, such as a wedding dress or grandma’s handmade quilt, will be contaminated.  It’s your call – we’re not going to wrestle these things away from you – but we do need you to know the risks of keeping them, and to sign a waiver stating that you understand those risks.

The good news is that this is a problem we can solve.  It’s ugly, and it’s intrusive, but the pros at Asbestos Abatement, Inc. have the experience and equipment to make your home safe again.  And check your homeowner’s policy – the project might be covered.  Covered or not, though, the cost of asbestos abatement is likely much less than you think… and certainly less onerous than the serious health risks you take when you don’t have it done.